Saturday, July 07, 2007

Home From the Shore

Well, here I am, back on the Internet. We discovered that we were able to steal a unsecured Wifi connection from our shore house. My brother and sister both had their laptops, and found it to be useful. I continued on my plan not to use the Internet at all during the week.

Over all, the vacation was very nice. There were a few good and a few bad things to note, but I got a lot of relaxing done, and feel ready to tackle everything I planned for this summer.

I was thinking of doing a day-by-day review of the week, but since most days consisted of the same routine (get up, sit around all morning, eat lunch, go to the beach, come back to the house, get showered, go to the boardwalk, come back to the house, sit around till after midnight, go to bed), it won't be necessary. I'll give you the highlights.

The week started off kinda rocky. We had no problem getting down there and unpacking, but our first trip to the beach last Saturday night did not go well. I had not planned on getting in the water, but my dad and Laura claimed that the water was warm, so I threw on my suit, and the whole family (minus Nick, who hadn't arrived yet) went down to the beach. My dad took a dive in the water, only to resurface a moment later and realize that he had forgotten to take off his glasses. Well, we searched around the water and the beach, and decided that they were pretty much gone. He has terrible vision, and he ended up having to order a new pair from Lens Crafters, which he got the next day.

You might think that I poked a lot of fun at him for this, but later that evening, I discovered MY WEDDING RING WAS MISSING FROM MY FINGER! Now, I NEVER take it off (with the exception of when I make meatballs), and I was 99% sure where it was--the same place my dad's glasses were. See, I have lost some weight since we got married, and lately my ring has been a little loose. Apparently, when I was in the water, it must have slipped off my finger. I was VERY upset about this, mainly because of the sentimental value, but also because I felt like I complete idiot for leaving it on. The good news is, the ring was not that expensive, since we were poor college kids when we bought our rings. So, I need to add ring-shopping to my list of summer tasks.

That night was also a little rough. Maddie decided that she was not going to sleep for some reason. She slept about 3 hours the whole night (and so did I). I was on "baby duty," so Meg went and slept in the spare bedroom while I dealt with Maddie (whose crib was in our room--long story). I eventually gave up on getting her to sleep, and we had a "slumber party." We watched Baby Mozart and played, and then she FINALLY went to sleep, only to wake up again at 6:30, at which point, I turned duty over to Meg, and slept in the spare room until 11:00.

After that, everything was better. I accomplished everything I wanted to over the week, including:

  • Time relaxing on the beach
  • Swimming in the ocean/riding waves
  • Eating Kohr Brothers ice-cream
  • Buying salt water taffy
  • Generally making a pig of myself
  • Started and Finished Reading Half Blood Prince
  • Solving several Crypto-quote puzzles.
  • Doing absolutely NOTHING!
  • Alone time with Meggie.
  • Family time with Meggie and Maddie.
  • Play time with Maddie (especially on the beach).
I really can't think of anything that I wanted to do but didn't get a chance to do. In fact, by last night, I was ready to go home, not in a bad way, but just missed my house, and Max, and wanted to get started on my productive summer.

I will be putting pictures on my Picasa Web Album sometime tomorrow, so I will definitely post a link.

No comments: