Tuesday, September 12, 2006

1st band rehearsal, OB Appointment

Very sleepily got up this morning, since I went to bed a little to late last night.

Despite the 4 periods of prep time I had today, I was very busy. In addition to weekly rehearsals during lunch, I meet with each grade of band kids during one period of the 6-day cycle. This program won't start till next week, so I have these periods off this week. Not that this helped.

I got a lot more permission forms in today, which meant I spent a lot of time processing these. I also had my first band rehearsal, which I had to set up for beforehand. The rehearsal went VERY well. I still had an issue with talking. I am not sure how to address this... it's the same thing I was talking about yesterday: when most everyone is talking, I don't know how to effectively discipline the group. I can yell and scream, I can lecture, but that just wastes more time, and usually the talking resumes in a few minutes. I am not sure how to fix this, but I need to find a way. On the good side, the kids (all 5th graders in this group, plus a few 6th graders) played really well for their first rehearsal of the year. Many of the kids admitted during their individual lessons that they didn't practice a whole lot this summer. I was expecting to have to review over notes and stuff, but they remembered everything, and I got right into teaching the music for the parade. They also seem psyched about the year. I really need to keep these 5th graders into it. They are the first class that didn't have the guy before me for band ever. I feel that with the 6th graders and up, their band experience with me will never be the same as it was with the old guy. It doesn't bother me. I do what I can. But I need to focus on these 5th graders, and the new crop of 4th graders that will start this year, and begin shaping an outstanding band program with this group. I think it will take several years before I get the program to my full expectations, but I am up for it (unless an equal paying job, in a good district, with NO general music comes up).

Speaking of general music, today was easier, as I only had one GM class. A 7th grade class. I had similar issues with this class as I did with the 8th graders I had yesterday. I was able to maintain more control though. I also COMPLETELY FOLLOWED THROUGH on a discipline issue. A kid in this 7th grade class, got two warnings, then the demerit, and then, he actually got to the phone-call home stage. After I had the class, I pulled the kids number, called home, and spoke to dad. So, even before he gets home, his parents already know what happens. dad felt his child's behavior was unacceptable, and said he would discuss it with him. I hope word of this spreads to the other kids--I WILL CALL HOME, and will see what happens.

Tomorrow is another insanely busy day. 5 periods of lessons, a self-contained class, and a 6th grade class. At least I get my lunch off tomorrow.

I rushed out of school at the end of the day, and just made it in time to our OB appointment. I met Meg at the OB's office. Good news. Baby D is very healthy and normal at this time, and Meggie is also healthy. You can get a more complete update on this post from Baby D's Blog.

After the appointment, we had tacos for dinner, and then I helped Meggie load her school stuff into the car. Today was unfortunately her last day of summer, since she has to be back at school tomorrow for a faculty meeting. So I dug her stuff out the crawlspace, and helped her load it all in the car. I spent the rest of the evening, doing my teacher homework (grading papers, re-updating the band schedule with the permission forms I got today), playing with Max, watching TV, reading news & blogs, and of course, blogging.

Gotta get a good night sleep tonight... busy day tomorrow!

No comments: