Thursday, September 14, 2006

Day 6

Today was my first day 6 of the year. Tomorrow the cycle starts over again. I am kind of looking forward to this, as I can start to get into things with my classes. I also get tired of teaching the same thing for 6 days in a row, so it is always a good, fresh start when you get back to day 1.

I talked to the few kids who I thought might be quitting band, and it turns out they are all still going to do it. I had a 5th grade class, and an 8th grade class today, so now I have seen all of the classes. I was worried about the 8th grade class, because last year, I only had 1 general music class on day 6, an 8th grade class, and it was the class from hell! There were five boys in this class that pretty much made my year a lot less pleasant. I am just glad they are off to HS now. And, four of those 5 boys were in band, so I had to see them several times a week. This year is so much easier, simply by not having those boys around. Of course, I can already see who is going to fill those shoes, but I am not going to let them get to me as much as the boys did last year. But anyway, this 8th grade class was nowhere near as bad as the class last year, so I won't fear day 6 like I did before.

I had my first advanced band rehearsal today, which went very well. I have a small group now, because I don't have last year's 8th graders, and I haven't auditioned anyone new yet. They were a little chatty, but we got a lot done.

The rest of my school day was spent planning for tomorrow and the rest of the cycle. I had a lot of kids miss their lessons (it takes a few cycles till the kids get used to the schedule), which basically means more planning time for me.

Meggie and I also carpooled today, which was nice. We save gas, and Meg and I get to have the car ride together. We will try to do this as much as possible this year.

After school, Meggie and I tried our new plan of eating later, which worked well. I made pork on the grill for dinner, marinated with Teriyaki. I had to do a little bit more school work after dinner, and that was my day.

Tomorrow is FRIDAY, thank goodness. This week went really slowly, as it was the first 5 day week. This Friday is also a PETER'S Friday, which I am looking forward to. Speaking of restaurants, we got a $50 gift card to a local restaurant from the new 4th grade teacher at my school. She worked for Meg's school district last year as a long term sub, but was not able to be rehired for this year. Around the same time this happened, I found out that there was a fourth grade teacher opening at my school. I let Meg know, who let her know, and she applied, and got the job. So, she gave Meg and I a gift certificate for helping her get the job. Sweet! Another dinner out.

Okay, Dane Cook is on HBO, and I wanna watch the rest of it.

No comments: