Saturday, July 08, 2006

Me vs. The Deck


I CANNOT WAIT until this deck project is finished! Not that it has been really hard, or that it has given me problems, but I am just tired of working on it. My lofty goal of finishing today was not achieved, as you can see by the picture on the left.

Meg thinks I am obsessed with the deck, and she is partly right. Mainly, I am obsessed with finishing it. This is why it seems that more than half of my brain- and will-power has been devoted to finishing this project in the last week. There is SO much else that has to be done. The front lawn looks like crap. It hasn't been mowed in two weeks. Max's "bathroom," a sectioned off area of the backyard, has not been cleaned in two weeks. Since Max is a particularly neurotic dog, and doesn't like to stand in his own feces (would you?), he has begun doing his business in other parts on the yard. It is as if he is on strike, until 'working' conditions have improved. Caitlin is coming to visit tomorrow, and the house needs cleaned, plus, I should also be starting the project on the nursery. My goal is to have the railings finished (and, for all intensive purposes, the DECK FINISHED), but tomorrow before Cait gets here.

On to my day...

I woke up early this morning and went to Home Depot in Berlin. Remember the well-stocked one from the other night? Well, apparently things had changed. I was able to get all but two of the railing sections, but they are kind of important parts of the who thing. So, I had to drive all the way from Berlin down to Turnersville to go to our regular Home Depot. They luckily had *almost* everything I needed, more on that later.

Got home, unloaded the stuff, and started arranging the parts on the deck to see how everything would fit together. I discovered that I needed some hardware that I didn't have. Meg and I would be headed back to Turnersville for grocery shopping, so yes, we stopped at Home Depot AGAIN (3 times in one day)!!! Then, we went over to Wal-Mart for our grocery shopping, and then headed home.

The rest of the day was spent outside working on the railings. It wasn't hard, but it is a slow-going process. Now that I know what I am doing, things should go a little quicker tomorrow.

When it was too dark to work, I took some pictures, cleaned up, and went in for dinner. Afterwards Meg and I watched the worst episode of Star Trek: TNG ever... and it happened to be the pilot. I am amazed the show continued to air for 7 seasons after that bomb. Then, Meg and I played Uno for a while, and I kicked her butt! Now, she and I are blogging (don't forget to read her blog too), and will soon go to bed. Then, an early start to tomorrow. Hopefully the last battle in me vs. the deck! Posted by Picasa

No comments: