Monday, July 24, 2006

Stars and Stripes

Lots of progress on the room, as you can see from my last post. I did not post yesterday because I was up till 2 AM taping the lines for the border and the trim.

So here's yesterday...

Kind of a blah day. I've felt like I am in a funk lately. Unless I've done something productive at the end of the day, I feel a little depressed. The only bad thing is, sometimes I never get motivated to do something productive, and then I end up blaming myself for wasting the day. For example, my desk is a mess; it's been that way for days now. Why haven't I bothered to clear it off. Now, I have been painting, but not the entire day. I've been way busier before. I can't even complain about being busy. I can't complain at all (except here), because I am not working right now, and still have money. So yes, I will stop complaining, and make the most of my days for the rest of the summer! (I heart being a teacher).

So anyway, didn't do much during the day, but at night, we had dinner at my parents. That was kind of a blah visit too. My dad wasn't feeling good at all, my sister wasn't there (she tends to be the life of the party), and my brother was only there for part of the night, and he wasn't feeling good either. So, it was mainly Meg, myself, and my parents. Not that this is a bad thing. We ended up staying till past 11. My brother and I were showing each other stuff on our laptops when I looked at the taskbar, and saw it was like 11:15! So we headed home, and I got started with taping...

Earlier in the day, I tried it with just a regular level. It didn't really work. When I had finished one wall, the tape was noticeably sloping upwards. So, I borrowed by dad's laser level, which really helped. I finally finished all of the taping, and then went to bed...

Got up a little earlier today, since Laura was coming at noon to help paint. She got here, and I had her paint the stripe in between the two tape lines. While she worked on that, I painted the trip. The stripe was easy, so I had her paint the large moon in the corner of the room. She is very good with art, and it had to be done freehand for the most part, but she did a really great job with it.

After we finished, Meg and I treated Laura to lunch by ordering sandwiches and stuff. This was a nice change, as Meg and I usually eat leftovers for lunch. It is more budget-conscious. I would love to eat out every day for lunch, but that would get very expensive. My sister brought her suit over, so we all took a dip in the pool to cool off and relax.

After that, my sister left, Meg went to the grocery store, and I went to start dinner... my famous sauce (tomato) with meatballs and sausage... only to discover that I never defrosted the meat. So I took a look at our meal plan for the week (yes, we make weekly meal plans, have been every since we got married... we are organized freaks), and saw "Sour Cream Chicken," a recipe I got from this cookbook Meg recently received. The recipe sounded good. Chicken breasts with sour cream, onion soup mix, and a little bit of milk, baked. Well, it was disgusting. I took one bite and managed to swallow it. I tried another bite and had to spit it out! I ended up just boiling up some cappellini and mixed with garlic, butter, and cheese. Needless to say, I am hungry; I'll probably have a little snack before bed.

So after dinner, it was back to painting. I put 2nd coats on the stripe and the trim, and then started putting the stars on the ceiling. I had made a the stencil, and wasn't sure how it was going to work. I am bad with spatial stuff, so I had Meg mark where the stars should go with a marker taped to a stick. Then, I moved around the room, stenciling a star over each dot. It took some time, but it looks great. Check out the picture below of the moon with some stars.



Here you can see a good summary of the day's progress, and more stars.



Well I am tired, hungry, and covered with paint. So off to snack, shower, and sleep, in that order! Posted by Picasa

No comments: