Monday, July 17, 2006

Party and Today

Okay, so it was really late last night when I got home, so I did not blog. I posted some pictures, but this wasn't nearly enough... so here I go.

Sunday was awesome, the party was great. Lots of people showed up, the food was really good, the yard looked great, people really had fun, and my brother and sister were much more helpful.

We went over to my parents house around 2 or so to continue helping them get ready. My brother and I blew up a bunch of floatie toys for the pool my mom had bought. I shucked some corn, set up tables and decorations, and Meg helped my mom get food ready inside.

About 4, guests started showing up. I kept myself very busy in the beginning of the party. I cooked about 30 burgers on the grill, and basically made sure all of the food was stocked and ready to go. Meg was busy as well, helping my mom out inside, and making sure all of the guests knew where the food and drinks were. She also helped out in an interesting way, as my mom put it, "Meg is making sure that all of the guests are getting 'lai'-ed." My mom bought lais for all of the party guests, flowery ones for the girls, sea-shelly ones for the guys. My dad got this big gaudy bead thing, and the party hosts (My mom, me, Meg, Nick (my brother), Laura (my sister), and Shawn (her boyfriend), all got special lais. It was a really cool touch.

Most of the day there was a huge volleyball game in progress on the side yard. I would have played, but was so busy, I never even got the chance to get out there. This wasn't a big deal, as I am not all that good at volleyball, or any other sport for that matter. A few people swam, and most everybody else sat in the back yard and ate and talked, and pretty much enjoyed themselves.

Mid party, Meg and I had to come back to our house to feed Max. Feeling a little guity, we let him go for a swim, since he would be stuck in the crate the rest of the night.

After getting back, we sang "Happy Birthday" to my dad, and he got all kinds of old-fart type gifts. If you check out the pictures, you'll see the "old-fart" had, the BBQ apron, and various badges. He was also given a cane with a horn, rear-view mirror, and change purse, thick novelty classes, rubber gloves and KY jelly (I don't think I had ever seen my dad blush so much), and the list goes on.

Afterwards, I took a dip in the pool, and spent the rest of the evening in the Tiki hut with Meg, Laura, Nick, Pat (one of Nick's friends), and Shawn. We all basically reminisced on childhood, and told stories about high school and such. It was also nice to get to know Shawn more. He's been around for a few months now, and we are all hoping he sticks around. None of Laura's past boyfriends would ever give us the time of day. I can tell that he and I probably have very different interests (coincidentally, so do my sister and I), but it doesn't bother him, and he talk anyway. It is the mark of a geniune person.

Soon, everyone left, and thanked us for a great time. Then the clean-up process... It didn't take that long, but afterwards, more talking and reflecting on the day. The evening ended with an amusing argument about fonts... Comis Sans MS is "played out" to quote my brother. Which is better, Arial size 12 or 10?? Times New Roman is boring, etc...

We got home around 1 and went to sleep.

And on to today...

Got up, had breakfast, then went out to the garage. Got the whole thing cleaned out, and I mean cleaned out! I don't think I have ever seen the garage cleaner. Now, we can start putting on of the cars in the garage again.

Had lunch, then we went for Max's annual checkup at the Vet. He is in perfect health, and we were both impressed with his behavior. Taking him to the vet used to be a nightmare, but he is getting much better about it. We got smart and brought a Kong stuffed with peanut butter, dog food, and pieces of hot dog. Max was too distracted to bother people or other dogs. He was very cooperative when getting his shots and while the vet looked him over. The vet also told us that labs make great family dogs, since we told him we were expecting.

After bringing Max home, we took a trip to Deptford for shopping. I stopped at Home Depot, and got some things I needed to start on the nursery. We then went to the Deptford Mall. Meg dropped her new medic alert bracelet to be engraved, then we went to Motherhood Maternity to get some more blouses for her. Unfortunately, they didn't really have anything that she didn't already have. Hopefully she can get some more stuff when their fall lineup comes out.

After shopping, I started work on the baby's room. I had to patch these two big holes left by the previous owner. Of course, I discovered that the bucket of joint compound I bought last year was no good anymore, so I made a 2nd trip to Home Depot today. After that, I patched the holes, and re-did some wiring stuff. I had dinner, cleaned up in the baby's room, and then did money stuff.

Tomorrow's a big day. We have our anatomy scan in the morning, so we may find out the sex tomorrow, and then my Mommom and Poppop are coming over for dinner, so we have a lot of cleaning to do.

No comments: